SPD accepting applications for new Police Recruit program
Special to SVLfreenews.com
The Statesville Police Department is now accepting applications through its new Police Recruit program. The program has been put in place to hire citizens with no prior police training and send them through the Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) at Mitchell Community College. Those selected will be hired as a Police Recruit and paid $14 per hour while attending the BLET program. After successfully completing and graduating from BLET, recruits will be paid the starting salary of a patrol officer.
Beginning pay for a police officer is $37,654.45. Educational incentives are also given for two- and four-year degrees. A bilingual incentive pay of 5 percent is also available to those who qualify and speak a second language.
To qualify for the Police Recruit program the applicant must meet the following criteria:
• Be a natural born or naturalized citizen of the United States;
• Must be 20 years of age or older;
• Must meet certain physical requirements specified in the job description. Candidates must not possess any medical or physical defects that would prevent them from engaging in BLET or performing the essential job functions of a law enforcement officer.
• Must possess a valid North Carolina operator’s license, or be able to obtain a valid North Carolina operator’s license, prior to an offer of probationary employment;
• Must be a high school graduate or have passed the General Equivalency Development (GED) Test indicating high school equivalency; and
• Shall not have committed or been convicted of a felony or a Class B misdemeanor.
The Police Department will accept applications from sworn and non-sworn applicants on an as-needed basis and will test up to 30 applicants at a time. Selection for police employment is a lengthy process that may take six weeks or longer to complete.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete an online Police Recruit application through the City of Statesville website, which will be screened by the Human Resources Director prior to receipt by the Police Department. You can access this application by going to the City’s website, www.statesvillenc.net. Click on the Government tab and follow the link to Employment to apply and for an overview of the program. The deadline for applications will be Friday, November 4th, 2016.
For more information about the program, contact Captain Tom Souther at 704-878-3536 or email@example.com.