Prep Soccer: Vikings, Greyhounds and Raiders pick up NPC wins
FROM STAFF REPORTS
South Iredell and North Iredell will square off in Olin on Wednesday evening with second place in the North Piedmont Conference standings on the line.
The rivals enter the game with identical 2-1 records in the NPC. The winner will likely keep pace with Statesville, which enters Wednesday's home game against East Rowan with a 3-0 record.
All three Iredell teams pitched shutouts on Monday.
Oct. 2 Games
• South Iredell 6, East Rowan 0: Thomas Moreno scored three times to lead the Vikings in a lopsided victory. Nate Lish, Carter Payne and Lucas Horton also added goals for South Iredell.
Ben Bograd and Nic Spock combined for the shutout in goal for the Vikings.
With the victory, South Iredell evened its overall record at 5-5 on the season.
• Statesville 6, Carson 0: Toni Pineda scored five times and assisted on a Dawson Sprinkle goal as the Greyhounds overcame a slow start.
The Greyhounds bounced back from a disappointing 1-0 loss to Lake Norman last week. With the win, Statesville improved to 11-3-1 overall.
Pineda continued a season-long assault on goalkeepers by scoring three times in the first half and twice after intermission. He leads the county in scoring with 33 goals and eight assists.
Sam Johnson had three assists, giving him a team-best 19 on the season. Milton Mungia also tallied an assist.
Statesville keeper Josh Fuhrman recorded four saves and earned his fifth shutout of the season.
• North Iredell 2, West Rowan 0: The Raiders bounced back from a loss to Statesville by pitching a shutout in an NPC match. The win, which improved North Iredell's record to 6-3-1, was the Raiders' sixth shutout of the season.
September 26 Games
• West Iredell 1, West Rowan 0: The Vikings rebounded from a loss to Statesville by blanking West Rowan in an NPC match. Lucas Horton scored the game's only goal in the game's 74th minute.
Vikings keeper Ben Bograd made five saves and earned the shutout.
• Statesville 5, North Iredell 0: Toni Pineda scored three times to lead the Greyhounds to a win over their NPC rivals.
Sam Johnson had a goal and two assists, and Milton Mungia also scored for Statesville. Austn Labretone tallied an assist as well.
Greyhounds keeper Josh Fuhrman had three saves en route to a clean sheet.