Prep Soccer: Statesville, North Iredell, South Iredell return to action Monday
FROM STAFF REPORTS
The Statesville High boys soccer team will attempt to remain unbeaten in North Piedmont Conference play Monday when the Greyhounds travel to Cleveland to battle West Rowan.
Kick-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
Statesville (12-3-2 overall; 4-0 NPC) is coming off a 3-3 tie against unbeaten Newton-Conover last Thursday.
Manwhile, West Rowan (2-8-2 overall; 2-2 NPC) blanked Carson 7-0 on Thursday to even its record in the NPC. Despite their overall record, the Falcons have been competitive in conference play, losing 2-0 to North Iredell and 1-0 to South Iredell.
In other NPC games scheduled for Monday:
- North Iredell (6-3-1; 2-1-1) travels to East Rowan (3-10-2; 1-3); and
- South Iredell (5-6-1; 2-2-1) hosts Carson (2-12-0; 0-4)
Last Week's Games
• Statesville 3, Newton-Conover 3: Sam Johnson had a goal and two assists for the Greyounds, who overcame a 2-1 deficit with two goals in a 30-second span to grab the lead with 15 minutes to play.
Austin Labretone converted a long throw-in from Johnson to tie the match at 2-2 with 15:36 to play and Jamie Woodard gave the Greyhounds the lead with 15:07 to play.
But the Red Devils (15-0-2) evened the score in the game's 66th minute when Statesville keeper Josh Fuhrman tried to clear the ball on a Newton-Conover breakaway. The clearance ricocheted off a Red Devil player and into the goal for the equalizer.
Fuhrman finished with 14 saves on the night.
• North Iredell 1, South Iredell 1: After the rivals battled to a scoreless tie in regluation, each side netted a goal in overtime.
The Raiders got a goal from Travis Wilcox to grab the lead about four minutes into the first overtime and appeared in control when a South Iredell player was sent off with a red card, forcing the Vikings to play a man down.
But Dylan Dellinger netted the equalizer for the Vikings with less than four minutes to play.
• Statesville 8, East Rowan 2: Greyhounds coach Eric Hanson cleared the bench with more than 30 minutes to play as Statesville scored four times in a two-minute span after halftime to build an 8-1 lead.
Toni Pineda had four goals and an assist to lead Statesville. Sam Johnson added a goal and three assists.
Also scoring for the Greyhounds were Landon Wilhelm, Austin Labretone and Jamie Woodard.
Keeper Josh Fuhrman had four saves for Statesville.