Prep Soccer: Greyhounds, Raiders square off Monday
FROM STAFF REPORTS
The Statesville High boys soccer team can take a huge step toward a fourth consecutive North Piedmont Conference championship on Monday, when the Greyhounds travel to Olin to battle rival North Iredell High. Kick-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Statesville (14-3-2 overall; 6-0-0 NPC) is coming off wins against South Iredell and West Rowan.
North Iredell (8-3-2 overall; 4-1-1 NPC) is alone in second place in the conference after beating East Rowan and Carson last week. The top two finishers in the NPC are guaranteed berths in the NCHSAA playoffs.
In other games Monday:
• West Rowan (3-9-1; 3-3-0) visits South Iredell (6-7-1; 3-2-1); and
• East Rowan (3-12-2; 1-5-0) travels to Carson (2-14-0; 0-6-0)
LAST WEEK’S GAMES
• Statesville 8, West Rowan 0: The Greyhounds scored seven times in a 20-minute span to turn a close game into a lopsided win.
Jamie Woodard got Statesville on the scoreboard with a goal in the game’s third minute, but the Greyhounds didn’t find the net again until Dawson Sprinkle scored 90 seconds into the second half.
Sprinkle’s goal began an onslaught in which Landon Wilhelm, Sam Johnson, Toni Pineda (two goals), Garrett Potemry and Austin Labretone all scored for Statesville.
Statesville keeper Josh Fuhrman made seven saves en route to his sixth clean sheet of the season.
• South Iredell 2, Carson 1: Thomas Moreno scored two goals in the game’s final 10 minutes to help the Vikings avoid an upset at the hands of NPC-cellar dweller Carson.
South Iredell goalkeeper Ben Bograd made three saves to earn the victory.
• North Iredell 4, East Rowan 2: Travis Wilcox scored twice and Patrick Frye and Spencer Morrison each added a goal as the Raiders picked up a road win in conference play.
Raiders keeper Scout Hix earned the win.
• Statesville 4, South Iredell 1: The Greyhounds overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit with four second-half goals to take command of the NPC.
Jared Amstein gave the visiting Vikings the lead with less than two minutes to play in the first half when he chipped the ball over Statesville keeper Josh Fuhrman.
But Landon Wilhelm scored the equalizer for the Greyhounds in the 43rd minute when he collected a pass from Jamie Woodard by the far post and put the ball in the net.
Ross Garrison gave the Greyhound‘s the lead in the game’s 55th minute and Joseth Reyes’ banger provided some breathing room in the 68th minute.
Toni Pineda, who leads the NPC in scoring, netted his 41st goal of the season in the 70th minute to account for the final margin. Sam Johnson had his 28th and 29th assists of the season for the Greyhounds.
South Iredell keeper Ben Bograd recorded 11 saves, while Fuhrman had seven for Statesville.
• North Iredell 5, Carson 1: Travis Wilcox scored three times to lead the Raiders to their eighth win of the season.
Dylan Coltrane and Spencer Morrison also scored for North Iredell, which moved into sole possession of second place in the NPC with the victory.
Juan Nieto and Josue Rodas each assisted on two Raiders’ goals, and Froylan Luna added a single assist.
North Iredell goalkeeper Scout Hix recorded nine saves.